When comparing disposable underpads with reusable underpads, it is, overall, a question of convenient vs. economical. Here’s the breakdown of why you might choose one over the other:
Disposable underpads, often referred to as chucks, are absorbent and convenient. They are available in a large variety of sizes and absorbency levels.
- Temporary uses, such as:
– Temporary incontinence
– House training for pets
– Procedures such as enemas
- Quick and easy cleanup
Once soiled, simply discard the underpad. This is especially helpful when traveling, and saves the cost and effort of laundering.
- Higher dry technology
Disposable drypads feature faster drying technology which draws moisture away from the skin and protects bedridden patients from bedsores.
- Better odor control
Ultra Fresh Odor Control disposable underpads inhibit the growth of bacteria and yeasts that can cause odors.
Reusable underpads, also known as washable underpads, are considered just as absorbent as disposable underpads and are popular with family caregivers, parents and pet owners.
Reusable underpads are better if you want an underpad that:
- Stays in place more reliably
- Reusable pads stay in place reliably, while disposable bed pads and chair pads have a tendency to move out of position and become folded and creased if sat on or used in bed.
- Saves money over time
- According to ARTA Green Summit, overall cost of reusable underpads is 50% less than the cost of disposable underpads.
- Reduces environmental waste
- Because reusable underpads can replace up to 200 disposable pads, they help reduce the amount of bed pads piling up in landfills across the country.